It is now pretty much 100 hundred percent confirmed that Storm Chasers has been cancelled by Discovery Channel and a new season will not be produced. Here are the facts.
- Early this evening Sean Casey’s Wife Jennifer posted on her facebook publicly a status confirming the cancelation. It was quickly taken down and her wall privacy settings changed. It read, “Yes, “Storm Chasers” has been cancelled after 5 seasons, it is indeed true. It was a good, long run and I am really grateful for all the friends I made through Sean’s involvement on the show. I’m so glad Sean was able to realize his dream of making “Tornado Alley,” which was always the most important goal to him“.
- Various Storm Chasers around the chasing community have confirmed that Reed Timmer has told people close to him including the person who builds and maintains the Dominator.
- Reed Timmer’s only response to the questions were “we’ll be out there chasing regardless“. on twitter, he has been active on facebook and twitter all day and has not given a yes or no.
- Volunteer Moderators on the TIV Facebook page has been instructed by Discovery Communications not to comment until they announce it.
- The TIV Driver Ronan Nagle confirmed it to close friends of his.
- I called and spoke to KARE 11 who Michael Stanga claims employs him. Stanga is the only saying this is not true and the news desk as well as shift manager both say they do not employ him nor do they know who he is.
- Reed Timmer or Discovery Communications have not responded to my queries for comment, nor have they responded to AccuWeathers.
- Matt Grzych states he will be leading chasing tours next year and says no comment when directly asked about the cancellation with a wink.
- Another “No Comment” from Matt Gryzch
- Doug Kiesling, Owner of Break News Video Network seems to think the show is cancelled, and Matt Gryzch replies “I look forward to a season of Old Fashioned Chasing”
- Matt Gryzch posted on the official Storm Chasers facebook page he will be tornado guiding next year.
- UPDATE: REPORTEDLY CONFIRMED BY REED TIMMER NOW
What Happened Earlier….
So there’s been more issues about this than what it first seems when I posted it, meaning this may have been a mistake of mine. It is not confirmed. I was first tipped off by someone who emailed me. I did some looking around online and noticed Jesse Ferrell of Accuweather asking it, and a few others making comments about it. There were also several people who are known close friends of those involved in the show. I then saw a link to the video on the Storm Chasers wikiedia page citing it as the source that it was cancelled, and someone linked to that same video on StormChasers citing it as a cancellation when Jesse Ferrel of Accuweather announced it. In an effort to be the awesome man breaking some news I got made into a moron by myself, it was nowhere in the video. I apologize about that. I believed wikipedia like a moron… should of learned better in class. I personally however undid the edit that put the cancellation on wikipedia.
Why No Official Comment From Reed or Others
They are likely not able to comment due to a contact with Discovery Channel. I’m guessing Sean Casey’s wife Jennifer Casey accidently posted that publicly and got a quick reminder. I would not expect a confirmation from them until Discovery Communications announces it.
Why The Drama
Much like the Show the Storm Chasing Community has become sadly infused with Drama. Many veteran chasers are very happy to see the show go do to the drama of the show as well as untrained chasers causing problems in the field. Die hard fans of the show are so upset that there is no official announcement that they attack everything that seems to point to the facts – Storm Chasers is indeed cancelled and will not be on next season.
Should Discovery or Reed Timmer respond to my request for comment I will fill you in.